Diary of a Dublin Landlady

Tuesday 6 August 2013

Bellinis and Ohlala


The new, new charity 5* hotel lunch is a simple brunch over a pub. 

The Bower Bird by Melissa Curry
Recently I attended a right girly get-together to raise funds to buy a special computer for a little girl who has Rett Syndrome. The venue was the Sussex bar and the place was humming with very positive, lively ladies from all aspects of the fashion magazine world (unlike me!). From 11am, we were treated to delicious granola with fresh berries, Bellinis and a strange tasting raspberry drink that I realised was actually beetroot.

By the time my jewellery designer friend, Clarice, arrived I’d had a good chat with the gorgeous mother of the little girl.

Rett Syndrome almost exclusively affects females and was often confused with autism. It is a neurodevelopmental disorder of the grey matter in the brain and affects verbal and movement ability. The special computer will help this little girl identify images to convey how she feels and what she needs. Her dad has become her full-time carer and I came away feeling that a most authentic sense of community had taken place in that space. Sadly, as we so often hear these days, there is little or no help through the HSE or Dept of Education to help this little girl fulfil her potential.

Clarice brought a piece of her legendary ohlala jewellery for the raffle, one the most sought after of the many generously donated prizes. We can all make renewed efforts these days, now that we have time to take time and give a hand, to encourage, to mentor or to just listen. And this clever designer has something else up her sleeve, watch this space

They raised over the target, we feasted on eggs Florentine and coffee and there were no flouncy gowns in sight. I sat there enjoying the delicious home-made hollandaise cut with some deviliciously acid vinager when my phone tooted, the text one least expects, 'I caught the rat'. It was McGyver, cost centre #1, 'I need a photo' I replied, thinking it should at least go in the blog file, 'are you mad? I've double bagged it and put it in the bin, not taking it out.' So well done, great to have a young man about the house. Only when the handsome, blue-eyed ratcatcher arrived days later, I mentioned this fact to him. Uh-oh, not supposed to do that, they have to be buried. So now you know. I don't know how this went from Rett to Rat but it wasn't planned that way.
.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment