Diary of a Dublin Landlady

Sunday 27 January 2013

Closet Melancholia

The zeal with which I despatched the finery to a swap shop was bound to end in tears. They estimated my possible return on the fashion investment, would be in the region of minus 95%. ‘Well do you want us to sell them?’ the woman asked admiring my toffee shearling she’d just tried on. I suppose I had no choice, not only making more space but it would bring in some income.

You’ll always meet an expert after an experience like that, I was urged to put them on eBay by let’s say, a stylist. Everybody else seems to ‘make a fortune’ on eBay, I only seem to lose money and time with the effort of photographing clothes and uploading them, and all the STUFF that goes with it, the labyrinthine Paypal, for instance. As well as DAFT.ie, I’ve joined Easyroommate.com – yes it’s been an eye opener, there are thousands of people looking for a room. Not too many in my area though.  Between all these websites and registrations, looking up ‘career opportunities’ on jobs.ie and re-inventing my CV for said opportunities, I seem to be at the keyboard for 24 hours. It’s only a click away from match.com or eHarmony to complete my on-line life. I've yet to negotiate Airbnb - a sort of personalised hospitality service in your own home.

A lesson seriously learned is buy no more. Nothing ever again, only food. The boardroom suits and cocktail dresses have remained. The key is to stay the same size (if anything was easier said than done, that is) and there will be enough to wear for a lifetime, especially when I need suits and dresses for some mysterious future career. If I’m having a writing day, there’s not a lot of point in dressing up, though dressing of some sort I find is essential, rather, staying dressed from desk to bed and desk again.

No comments:

Post a Comment