Diary of a Dublin Landlady

Sunday 27 January 2013

Goals by any other name would tell as much

They were Heston and Jamie for an afternoon and figured how to bake a ham for New Year's Day, yes I know it's not that difficult, but it’s good to delegate, and boys like ownership or, rather competition, one wanted to boil it in coca cola, thank you Nigella. They need to compete on who did what part of the dinner and what turned out best. Similarly with the turkey at Christmas, one did the stuffing with a concoction of cranberries and apples. The elder did the vegetables, if they have to compete, believe me, I don't care what it tastes like, the joy of shared cooking is not to be underestimated.

After dinner on New Year’s Day we have a tradition of writing our goals for the year, nothing as negative as things we’re going to give up. Rather, I have a tradition of giving them paper and pens and goading them to dream of what could be. I made up these categories to help them while they were still in school. Surprisingly, when I find my own piece of paper at the end of the year, the goals have been somehow inadvertently achieved. Maybe there's something about visualising and writing it down that affirms it for us. Anyway, I'll share some random goals to which they aspire: Personal: Growing a beard; Financial: Saving 10 euro a month; Academic: Getting a merit/2.1; Charity: Earning enough to support myself; Sport:  Using my bike; Health:  Putting on 6lbs (certainly not one of my goals). Mine: Getting published!

No comments:

Post a Comment