Diary of a Dublin Landlady

Thursday 7 February 2013

Anglo: Now the least funny word in the anglo-saxon language

Yes, Anglo, Angles, Angela M - rebranding it IBRC was fatuous and unnecessarily expensive.


I was riveted to the live Anglo liquidation Dáil debate last night, little has changed, Ulster still says NO. Who's side is Gerry  Adams on anyway? Last time I saw him in person, he was skipping lightly into First Class, having held up the New York flight.

As I'm glued to the radio and Draghi press conference from Frankfurt today, I discover that the euro billions we're consigning to future and Ireland's negotiations with ECB aren't really that different from the humble restructuring with my mortgage bank, one that didn't feature in the bailout. Unfortunately, no debt forgiveness there, just a more expensive future. The cost of my restructuring is the equivalent of two third level years, or half a year repayments, not to mention non-essentials like 10 holidays or a new car. Why demonise door to door moneylenders when the banks have a licence to screw us too?

While I grapple with radical micro-economic solutions, putting my bonds (rooms) on the market, I understand that it is a trade, a service provided for a financial return. If I, or the prospective tenant, don't do our due diligence, one of us might lose out. I could have a money launderer, a criminal (I'm not going to do Garda vetting) or they could find something falls short of their expectations, and it's not value for their money. It's a risk. No guarantees, our judgement must prevail, but nobody is making either of us do it.

I've had some enquiries from staff at Paddy Power, the big news in D.14 and a global gambling success story. Paddy Power understands risk, as I suppose do their customers. The lucky bondholders at Anglo got to take risks with their money and got a double whammy, a handsome return when it all went south.

If Irish schools put bond trading on the curriculum we might produce canny experts on this thorny subject and we can all play the markets, but where would you find that other Ireland, a place with a kindly, bounteous understanding when your risky bets go wrong?

A senior member of the new Anglo cohort tried to explain to me that the promissory note was paid to ourselves, be that as it may, our financial system was hogtied.

Let's hope they've done the right thing. And in the NAMA of any god, hope those new age public servants up to the handover.

No comments:

Post a Comment