Diary of a Dublin Landlady

Saturday 2 February 2013

The R Word (no, not that one)


Talking about relationships....No! Please don't. I hear you cry. As I was saying, relationships...allegedly communication is key to a successful one. I’m aware I’ve hardly mentioned a friend in the whole of January, mainly because I've hardly seen one and because of death threats! For instance, Cruella de Vil will kill. In fact, she reminded me there’s a good reason that is her sobriquet. Therefore, that will be the last time you’ll see her name. Promise!
 
In January I spent a couple of lunches and afternoons in the company of a soignée friend who’s sartorial style draws gasps, his shirts are hand-made in Florence and he refuses to name the source, they are a work of art with contrast cuff lining, bold stitching and well buttons you’d notice, but nicely. We are doing some research and found ourselves spending an afternoon at Showcase, seeking the most beautiful and novel of Irish produce. The exhibitors we selected, all, each and every one, had a great story to tell. They were bowled over by the international orders they’d got over the course of four days and it was my first inkling that trade is alive and well, the key is distinction, determination and distribution.

Getting to see friends these days is a major scheduling event, I live quite a distance from a lot of my girlfriends. But now that we’ve discovered the Hailo app, we might get to meet twice rather than once a month. What a brilliant invention, and the drivers approve too. I haven’t spoken to one driver who complains. Which has to be a first.

The women I know are all diversifying; most of us are self-employed and have branched into areas we never dreamed possible or plausible. One has designed incredible children’s furniture and on her way to production. Another is running bridge classes. Another, an architect, is studying nutrition. We are all drawing on latent talent or sheer desperation, a bit of both is what it takes. But it’s taking its toll on our time, working longer hours for less and meeting less for a chat - that underestimated and under-celebrated all time panacea for life’s woes.

There is a special man with whom I have continued to bond this year. Though, I have seen much less of him too than I would like or need. It’s a relationship like no other. Reader, he is my hairdresser. A few words with him and he manages to get right to the heart of the matter. Sometimes I wonder is it the way our eyes meet in the mirror, when he leans over my shoulder and fixes his ‘are you ok?’ stare, does it double the communication impact? I mean, who else do we talk to in a mirror?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment