Diary of a Dublin Landlady

Wednesday 20 February 2013

Dirty Laundry and Papal Bull



When Lodger Adam first moved in, he came into the kitchen one evening with a hulking great device under his arms, 'what's that?' I politely enquired, 'oh that's my baby,' he said as he cradled and stroked it. It looked like an iron with a great big potty attached. 'I've 150 shirts, I find ironing therapeutic,' he put me in my place.

As I wear a lot of non-iron t-shirts, even under suits, I nodded in respect. Our basic iron remains in CC#1's room as CC#2 has inherited my creased look. I've bought Adam his own ironing board so he can enjoy therapy at will. He’s a perfect lodger, here so little I’ve taken to doing his washing and am about to change his bed linen, I never would have thought I'd see the day. How times have changed, men really, really love ironing, if only they'd said it sooner.

I remember years and years ago, a laundry van coming to collect my mother's sheets. I hope it was Swastika, an unfortunate name, but then so is Magdalene, as far from the caring appeal of the biblical character as you can get. One of the women this week said the nuns were like the Gestapo. Power, collusion, control and systematic abuse, just like the Third Reich really, only this time the victims were incarcerated for longer. They say it's the evolution of washing machines that changed it all, imagine that? Indesit put the nuns out of business, but not before they sunk their dirty linen money into land.

With tales of scaling walls to escape their prison or stowing away in a delivery van, it's almost the stuff of derring-do gals in St Trinian's, without the humour. They spoke of the hidden Ireland, not such a great name for the country-house hotel group. What courage it must have taken to run away without a penny or a place to go. This is too sensitive a subject for a short post and I only write these words out of respect and that I cannot ignore what has come out in the last few weeks and wonder is this the end, what next will be uncovered about Irish society and who else will be silenced?

Which brings me to Papal Bull and silencing of priests who speak up for women and children. It's official, the Magisterium says so (that sounds like a sorcerer's board game). I don't know Fr Tony Flannery, nor have I ever read his articles, but if they're honest and open enough to bring the wrath of Papa Razzi down on him, I hope he will resume and let the dirty laundry be washed and hung out to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment