Diary of a Dublin Landlady

Thursday 23 May 2013

Downtime at Landladyhouse



Back home in landladyland milestones have been passed since last week, both cost centres have finished third level. They talk of needing downtime, they don't need to. They're in perma-bed ever since. I've become a bit of a lazy mother since taking up residence in Leinster House; well I would reside if I could find the bedrooms the Duke of Leinster no doubt appointed for guests. I've slept in the Duke's suite at Carton, I just need a word with bald usher and I'm there.

CC#2 Final Exam Breakfast Avocado and Poached Egg
I've found just about everything else, including the Bold Room and since today the AV Room, where briefings are held. The cost centres still have to find their own pathway (my new term from the Oireachtas hearings) or indeed a space to master and inhabit. Remember when we had those career guidance advisors in school and mock interviews, it was all so abstract, how on earth do you know? As far as CC#1 is concerned he’s heading off to Mullingar for a music festival this weekend as he turns 23, talk of CVs or jobs is off the agenda until next week. 

I thought the ‘Irish Mammy’ was someone like ‘Mary, dear’ from the Riordans, ok too far back, but at least someone from a generation we wouldn’t recognise. I fear she is staring me in the face in my bathroom.

CC#2 is interning for the summer followed by a post grad in the autumn. He’s struggling to decide where to holiday in the meantime. Bless that tax rebate from the J1 job.

The Gentlemen lodgers are still here, #1 is in a high state of excitement with the level of rugby on recent weekends. G.L.#2 continues to patronise Dublin’s arts and culture scene and keep me abreast of what’s hot and not.

I keep house, after a fashion. Filed my book review on Monday, wrote another Indo piece coming out tomorrow. Fired off my own book today to three publishers, deciding I couldn’t wait for agents to get back to me.

Since the weekend, the cul de sac is enlivened for two weeks while neighbour husband returns from Sydney for the young fella's communion. Rumours that there is a job shortage in Australia are not exaggerated, he has been searching for 5 months and only came back because he's starts a contract in June. Harmony restored in Lara's house, and a happy communion boy to boot.

I sat in the Dáil Bold Room on Tuesday, loving the news being made by the minute, the Shatter Wallace carry-on, then came the tweet about his censored steamy novel. I read other peoples books for research, to see how high the bar is for publishing, or how low, as is often the case. I just had to check out Minister Shatter’s novel. Of course all copies were taken off Amazon, but I managed to find a second-hand one in the USA, I’m distraught at having to pay 30 dollars, but hey, it's a collector’s item.

By Thursday I discover 'Laura, A story you will never forget', by A Shatter is for sale at £165.00 and there are only two copies left, I fear my relatively cheap copy could be intercepted at the Customs courtesy of Garda insider surveillance, don’t know why I get that feeling. But I want to do a book review. I feel it deserves it. Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment