Diary of a Dublin Landlady

Saturday 4 May 2013

May the Fourth be With You


(Sorry, just couldn't resist it)

Cost Center # 1 and # 2
It's one thing having the nom de plume, Dublinlandlady, and taking the naive step of writing about domestic idiosyncrasies and our recession-busting solutions, quite another to have an alter ego who wrote of a sad and emotive event and then sued the State. That alter ego, Deirdre de Barra has ditched her anonymity and Deirdre Conroy's first tentative steps into the light have been gratifyingly received with great support and warm praise. I can't thank those enough who have written to me, like pouring oil on my writing engine.

It feels like two parts coming together after a long time and is a surprising relief. I have resisted telling my private story and it is very strange to see my name and photo in print but I've just got old enough not to care about the personal and angry enough at the hysterical debates, none of which will restore the life of Savita Hallapanaver.

So, now, entering the labyrinthine Engine of State to grapple with the Heads of Bill, I am wondering where this road will turn next. To a decent, compassionate place, one hopes.

No comments:

Post a Comment